Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Yes! I admit it! I'm a push-over, and a workaholic, to boot. I'm the laziest workaholic in the world - if there's such a thing. Anyway, after working 13-hour shifts for 9 straight days, my body was craving for rest.

It was an exhausting Saturday shift, with a lot of issues that needed my close supervision. Several of our people didn't report for work (the bastards were probably out on dates) and we lacked the manpower to meet our client's demands. Needless to say, we didn't meet them and I got drained in the process. At around 8:00, I finally acquiesced and silently waited for my agony to end. When the clock struck 9:00am, I immediately jumped ship and hailed the first coloured cabbie that I saw.

When I got home, I headed straight to my room. I sent an SMS to all my colleagues, telling them not to bother me for any reason because I was about to hit the sack. They sent their good night messages (even if the sun was glaring outside) and wished me good dreams. I was already in the fringe of the blessed realm of The Dreaming when I heard a voice booming in my ear.

"Wake up! We need to go to the mall! Now!"

"Hrrrm...nnnhh!"

"I said wake up! Get out of bed, this instant!"

"Nnnnhhh....nrrh....whu...wha...whut? Damn."

Crap. It was my mom, shouting at me. She wanted to head to the mall and needed me to come with her. I'm the only one in the family who knew how to operate an ATM and she wanted me to tag along so I can withdraw some cash. Reluctantly, I got up and went with her to the mall. She didn't know what she wanted so we spent the entire afternoon just looking around for things to buy. I could barely keep up with her, and she's past her 60's! That was how tired I was!

Then I remembered that they are now selling tickets for the upcoming Wolfgang concert through Ticketworld, so I asked her if we could drop by the Customer Service department of National Bookstore. I was able to get two Orchestra Center tickets (albeit at the far end already) and finally had something to be happy about the trip.

We went around the mall some more and came across an orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th Symphony. There was a big crowd that gathered, and I couldn't quite see who the performers were. I saw a white guy waving frantically in front of the crowd. I held my breath and thought, "It can't be! It must be Maestro Ruggero Barbierri at the helm! " And then, he turned around and I saw that he wasn't. But I wasn't too disappointed. After all, it has been quite a while since I was able to go to a symphony.

I thought how the acoustics of the mall would not be quite good enough for a symphony orchestra, but I realized that it didn't matter. They were bringing classical music to the masses, and they were responding positively. Of course, it would be much better if they held it in a concert hall, but people are usually adverse to going to such places. I closed my eyes and pushed my thoughts away. I eliminated distractions and prepared myself to listen to the music. And then, my mom yanked me away.

"Let's go! I want to buy some shoes! We don't have time for this nonsense!"

Aargh! Of all the people, I never thought that she'd react that way. She had been a concert pianist in her own time, and was a protegee of the late National Artist Lucrecia Kasilag. She was the one who introduced me to the works of Beethoven and Debussy! How can she call it nonsense?

I was hurt and was wondering why could she treat classical music as nonsense when we passed by Fullybooked. Needless to say, it is my favorite bookstore and I am a loyal customer of their branch in Gateway. I wanted to go in and check what books would pique my interest but my mom wouldn't let me, saying that we didn't have enough time. She told me that I didn't need any more books because I still have a lot at home, and my money would be better spent if I just buy her some more clothes.

I was so frustrated and was on the verge of tears when we passed by a candy store. I checked what different candies they have on stock and was excited when I saw some popping chocolates. I wanted to get one and see what else they had in store but then again, my mom grabbed my hand and led me towards the department store.

That was the last straw. I couldn't take it anymore. In the first place, I was already dead tired yet I accompanied her to the mall. She knew that. But why couldn't she let me get something that I would enjoy? I don't get it. I didn't speak for the remainder of our shopping excursion and let her babble on and on

When we finally reached home (around 9pm), I went straight to my room and dreamt about eating chocolates in the Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo.

Sunday, bloody Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. putek.. what a day! wala akong masabi sa nanay mo.. you know maybe kaya nya tinawag na nonsense ung nadaanan nyong orchestra e dahil hindi naman kilala yung mga yon? at siguro hindi pasado sa standards nya? kaya nya tinawag na nonsense.. just like what i would call some known bands who have nothing else to play but remakes and covers.. just guessing! haha..

    tsong kawawa ka naman.. nararamdaman ko ang inis mo at pagod habang binagasa ko ang entry mo. ganyan din ako minsan sa nanay ko pag sinasamahan ko sya..

    dude ngayon ko lang narealize, may pagka shopaholic pala nanay mo ano? grabe.. factor na rin ata yan kung bakit nahhrapan ka mag ipon? waaaaaaahhhh... hirap.. =(

    well.. isipin nalang natin.. dahil sa pagttyaga mo, babalik din ang good karma sayo. =) *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete