Monday, January 26, 2009

my books

the sandman: dream hunters (signed by neil gaiman)

This is the very first Sandman novel that I got. When I had to choose from which one of my books would get signed, this one was on top of the list. Neil Gaiman signed it when he came over for the opening of Fullybooked Gateway last '05. I was in line for more than 9 hours! Good thing the people there were really nice, and we all became fast friends. Aside from this, Neil also signed my copy of The Kindly Ones, but it was just a squiggle so I didn't bother taking a picture of it.


creatures of the night (signed by neil gaiman)


The Price is the very first Gaiman story that I have read. Our professor in Humanities is a big Gaiman fan, and we discussed this short story in one of our classes. I remember sobbing like a little girl when I first read it at home. When I got this limited illustrated edition, I promised myself to have it signed. So when I heard that Neil was one of the special guests of the Ad Congress last '07, I went to Subic and attended the conference. He read the first chapter of the then unpublished Graveyard Book - and I found out that I was one of the very few who already knew about the story of Nobody Owens (I had a copy of the fourth chapter from M is for Magic). Afterwards, he encouraged all the attendees to write, and gave helpful tips on how we could improve our styles. I was able to ask him a lot of questions, and he answered all of them. At the end, we all fell in line to have our books signed - but it only took me roughly around 15 minutes and I was already in front. Aside from Creatures of the Night, he also signed Good Omens, the screenplay of Beowulf, and Expeditions: Prose. On top of that, he gave me a couple of big hugs and a kiss! I have a picture of me rubbing faces with him lying around somewhere. I'll post it when I find it. ^_^




the absolute sandman: volumes 1-4

These are my most expensive books to date. Combined, I would already be able to buy a DSLR with these guys. I know, I already have the trade edition of the Sandman but I just couldn't resist completing the set. Also, these books are roughly 4 kilos each. I tried lifting all of them together, but I wasn't able to. I think I might need to use a stroller to have them signed when Neil comes back here in Manila. T_T

7 comments:

  1. You're a certified Neil Gaiman Otaku!

    Get a good stroller to match those books well, prepare for his return, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude ang KAPAL pala ng sandman? i have no idea talaga tunkol saan yang books na yan. yung volumes 1-4 illustrated yan? grabe!! dapat pala naka vault yung mga libro mo. hehehe! i remember diba sa rockwell yan. yun ba ung pnaka first punta nya? hahaha. ang saya mo nun. =P which story is the best neil gaiman creation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. daigan:

    i need a stroller with black leather. waah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lemon:

    i'll post about sandman when i have enough brain power. i don't want to sound dumb when i do so. lol.

    absolute sandman volumes 1-4 are actually volumes 1-10 of the trade edition. that's why they're really heavy.

    the first event that he went to was in rockwell, but i didn't get my book signed that day. remember, we just looked at the exhibit and screamed and screamed at him? lol. i had my books signed in gateway, a couple of days after. \m/

    ReplyDelete
  5. lemon:

    i forgot to answer your question: "which story is the best neil gaiman creation?"

    for me, The Sandman will always be his opus. it's a story about stories, and is easily one of the greatest epics in modern history.

    i also love American Gods. i wanted to get a numbered edition from hillhouse publishing, but didn't have enough money at the time. (it was over $250) when i did have money, it's already out of stock. T_T

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaah ic. sandman talaga no. yun ba ang nagpasikat s kanya?

    waaaaaaaah sayang naman, ang mahal ah $250! well at least you have his sandman creations... nako! knowing you, makukumpleto mo rin yan sooner or later! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lemon:

    i'm doubtful i'd be able to get the numbered edition of American Gods but i still hope that i will. anyway, i'm okay with my first edition HC of American Gods. ^_^

    ReplyDelete